I spoke at a conference once and after the formal side of the presentation I invited questions from the 100 or so gathered coaches and sports managers.
The first question from the audience was, “Wayne, you’ve spoken a lot today about HIGH performance. Will you be covering Performance at sea level (i.e. low performance sport)?”.
Many people think that the world of high performance sport is a bit mystical and magical and that it takes a lot of money, a PhD and a laboratory to do it well.
In reality, creating and sustaining a successful high performance culture is more about attitude than altitude, more about motivation than money and more about learning than a laboratory.
So, to help you understand what High Performance is really all about…….
What is High Performance Sport?
My business card reads “High Performance Sports Consultant” - meaning I should know a few things about High Performance sport – the “pointy end” of sport.
Yet, when people ask me, “So what is High Performance Sport”, it is often difficult to define in a few words or with an overly verbose statement for the sake of having a one line definition.
So let’s try it this way…what are the ten core features – the “non negotiables” of high performance sport?
- Number 1: High performance sport is about change: specifically it’s about accelerating your rate of effective change faster than your opposition;
- Number 2: High performance sport is about consistency – it’s about being better in your role – everyday -than any of your competitors;
- Number 3: High performance sport is about taking risks - it’s about daring to be different – about being the first to turn your back on the known to embrace the unknown;
- Number 4: High performance sport is about never being complacent or resting on your results – it is a commitment to continuous improvement;
- Number 5: High performance sport is about cohesion – about people working together under pressure and with urgency towards a common goal;
- Number 6: High performance sport is about innovation and creativity - about seeing things and doing things that no one else will or can;
- Number 7: High performance sport is about alignment between all areas of the organisation: Board, Executive, Management, Coaches, Athletes, Staff…everyone from the person who signs the cheques to the person who checks the signs – one team, one vision;
- Number 8: High performance sport is about passion - it’s about drive and enthusiasm and attitude and commitment;
- Number 9: High performance sport is about science – it’s about integrating leading practice sports science (and sports medicine) into a cohesive, problem solving focused, multi disciplinary, dynamic high performance environment;
- Number 10: High performance sport is about living excellence - on and off the field – in and out of the gym – in public and in private.
© 2013 – 2014, Wayne Goldsmith. All rights reserved.